DP / Project 2: Sense of Place


10.05.2021 - 10.31.2021 (Week 7 - Week 10)
Devina Angeline Wiratama / 0350824
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Project 2: Sense of Place

Jump Link

LECTURE

Week 7 / 10.05.2021 - Dr Jinchi
This week, we briefed about Sense of Place (the importance of observation) in video 7. Dr Jinchi explained that a designer's role is to solve problems with effective visual communication. "Problems" that a designer solve are aplenty - ranging from personal goals to community events, and from a corporate function to world-changing projects - all through creative, visual communication means. 


Fig. 1.1 / Poster that Encourages People, Week 7 (10.05.2021)

The Importance of Observation 
Being observant means being attentive to your surroundings, paying attention to the details and being analytical about them. For a designer, observation can be an effective way to get ideas. source of observation can stem from artefacts, daily happenings, physical surroundings, etc.


Fig. 1.2 / Observation of Nature, Week 7 (10.05.2021)


Fig. 1.3 / Importance of Observation, Week 7 (10.05.2021)

Next, we watch "8 Ways to Improve Your Powers of Observation". Here is the video from youtube.


Vid. 1.1 / Improve Your Power of Observation, Week 7 (10.05.2021)

Observing is an active act of acquiring information, through the senses, of a subject matter in its natural setting. Our senses are important for us to know, feel, understand, analyse, and even plan what we want to do. Observation is important to designers as it enables them to see "problems", as well as getting ideas for solutions to those problems. 

Sense of Place
As shown in the example of the Island Bazaar (fig. 1.3), we can get the hint of island life, the cool breeze of the air the warmth of the sun all through careful observation and documentation of the designer's surroundings. Besides that, you will also observe that a suitable design principle is applied to create effective visuals in those Instagram feeds of Island Bazaar.

How do we express our sense of the place?
Start by documenting your observation - photographs, diary, talking to relevant people, mindmap, etc. 


Fig. 1.4 / Mindmap, Week 7 (10.05.2021)

There are other mediums you can explore, such as collage, illustration (manual/ digital), scale model, the possibilities, etc. Here are examples of senses of place.



Fig. 1.5 - 1.8 / Examples of Senses of Place, Week 7 (10.05.2021)

Last, for the closing, we watch "Infinity Mirrors by Yayoi Kusama". Here is the video from youtube.


Vid. 1.2 / Infinity Mirrors, Week 7 (10.05.2021)


Week 7 / 10.05.2021 - Mr Charles
In this class, Mr Charles showed us Sense of Place through youtube 360VR.



Fig. 1.9 / 360 VR, Week 7 (10.05.2021)


INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gnxmGcKqLPFjNqEvooUwyFBYEfO4NJJF/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Observe your surroundings – people, vehicles, buildings, plants, signages, nature, activities. Record these in sketches, photography and/or video recording. Study all the visuals that you had collected. Select visuals that you find relevant and interesting to you, which you can translate into a design work that reflects your interpretation of a place. Remember to apply design principles in your work. For materials, you may use any of your choices, but do consider their suitability to best express your idea. 
Upload Project 2 to your blog. The post must contain:

1. a recap of Project 2 brief
2. your design process:
• visual research
• idea exploration and description
• final outcome in PDF and short rationale 
• feedback by the lecturer 
• reflection on the project

If you have any photographs as final submission or idea exploration, make sure that they are clear, taken from various angles and properly cropped.


VISUAL RESEARCH

I miss going out on vacation and staying at a hotel. I remember every time I stepped out of the hotel balcony when I looked out at the view of the city, the sea, the vibes, there were many birds there, also some other animals, and the breeze. It's very calm and peaceful. Then, I did some research about that. Since we were in the pandemic, and I can't go anywhere (#stay at home). I don't have my own photographs, so I search them on Pinterest.

Before that, I have an idea about many pillars on both sides (the greek architecture) and that place is in the sky. In the sky, there will be many whales and other sea animals. Yup, it's digital surrealism. If I was there, I can imagine how very peaceful, the wind blows make us calm and relieved, and even there is a special feeling that I can't describe in words. However, after I drew the sketch, I think the "sense of place" feels lacking. So I come up with other ideas. Here are the references.



Fig. 2.1 - 2.4 / References#1, Week 8 (10.12.2021) 

Second, here are the references to the balcony view and the vibes.





Fig. 2.5 - 2.13 / References#2, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

Third, here are my elements for the ideas.


Fig. 2.14 - 2.17 / Elements, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

Next, I search for the colour theme on Adobe Colour. It's very useful when you don't know and are sure about the combination of the colours that you want. I choose the colour harmony rule - Triad. Here is my colour theme.


Fig. 2.18 / Colour Wheel, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

I am not only applied the triad colour but also monochromatic as well.


IDEA EXPLORATION, PROGRESS, AND FINAL OUTCOME

For my first idea sketches are explained before in visual research. As you can see, the greek architecture is in the sky, but I don't draw the sea animals yet. In (fig. 3.1 and 3.2) I made ad 2 shots, from beside and from the eye bird view (perspective). However, I think the idea seems lacking. So I decided to change with other sketches.


Fig. 3.1 - 3.2 / Sketches for Idea#1, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

For my second sketch, I wanna create like in the streets of the city (fig. 3.3). Then suddenly, I have another idea, which is (fig 3.4). In that sketch, I miss seeing a city view from the balcony, as I explained too on visual research. I imagine there will be a city view in alike on the way to sunset, there are birds and cats, and also the lake over there. So, there are reflections of the city. Like more completing the (fig. 3.4). Here are the sketches.


Fig. 3.3 - 3.4 / Sketches for Idea#2, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

I made this project on Procreate, the illustration and the animation. 
Here is my progress for the illustration in 30 seconds only.


Vid. 3.1 / Progression for the Illustration, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

Here is the result. I like it! There is a similarity and unity.


Fig. 3.5 / Final Illustration, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

Next, I also made a little bit of animation of it. I only make the living things (cats and birds) and the boats that are moving. There are 17 birds, 6 cats, and 2 boats. On Animation Procreate, it uses layers y layers. Here is the progress. 


Fig. 3.6 - 3.9 / Animation Progress, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

There are 10 scenes and also I made it like a boomerang Instagram/ ping-pong. It's like I captured the sense of place using the Instagram boomerang. Here is the result.


Gif. 3.1 / Boomerang of Sense of Place, Week 9 (10.19.2021)

Final Outcome in PDF or Embed.

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eeHfaJTzol8en_8FB4eZmvDu-3HPSnA5/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kTeJh22PrTQoGDwHUuSSi7fpDxx44yOR/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


FEEDBACK

Week 8 /10.12.2021
💁‍♀️: It's Independent Learning Week

Week 9 / 10.19.2021
💁‍♂️: It's Public Holiday

Week 10 / 10.26.2021
It's a very good composition. I like how you frame the entire view with your balcony, a first-person view.


REFLECTION 

One word for this task is Interesting. This task is really to remind and recall again my memory of place. I learned how the angle from the point of view has a very big influence on the atmosphere that will be delivered. In addition, here I learn more about the design principle. I am grateful to have received this assignment so that I can familiarize myself with things that were previously unfamiliar. I not only learned about the design principle, but I also learned about animation this time. While it's still not as good as I hoped it would be, it's part of the process itself. I thank myself for the hard work.


Comments