IVN / Task 2: Decisive Moment


09.23.2021 - 10.21.2021 (Week 5 - Week 9)
Devina Angeline Wiratama / 0350824
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Decisive Moment


Jump Link

LECTURES

A. Week 5 / Composition (3) - Rhythm and Movement
Source: Ms Anis' PPT

    Having rhythm in art is one of the most difficult aspects to achieve or explain. Here's an example of a rhythm that makes the appealing look.


Fig. 1A.1 / Rhythm, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

If we put it in a different context, good music = good beat = good rhythm. Basic visual elements/ tools to create movement are shapes and lines. Don't forget to maximise overlaps.


Fig. 1A.2 / Maximise Overlaps, Week 5 (09.23.2021)


Fig. 1A.3 / Establish Pattern and Rhythm, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

Mediocre 
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance: ordinary, so-so. Synonyms The Enduring Moderation of Mediocre Example Sentences. 


Fig. 1A.4 / Mediocre into Great One, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

Here are other references that you can be practice.


Fig. 1A.5 - 1A.6 / Painting 1, Week 5 (09.23.2021)


Fig. 1A.7 - 1A.8 / Painting 2, Week 5 (09.23.2021)


Fig. 1A.9 - 1A.10 / Painting 3, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

B. Week 5 / Chiaroscuro
Source: Ms Anis' PPT

Chiaro refers to the use of light and dark to create the illusion of three-dimensional volume on a flat surface (Chiaro = Bright, Scuro = Dark).

Fig. 1B.1 - 1B.2 / Contemporary Media - Comics, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

A lightning choice to:
  1. Increase dramatic tension
  2. Create sensational effect
  3. Pull your attention to a subject in an intense way
  4. Create a tasteful composition of negative vs positive space
It's also a great study of form and value practice!

C. Week 6
There is no lecture this week. 


PRACTICAL

A. Week 5 - 09.23.2021
First, Ms Jennifer opened it with the sketch that she made before.


Fig. 2A.1 / Ms Jennifer's Sketch, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

Next, Ms Jennifer just show us like the previous practical. How to use the pen tool, path tool, etc. She also shows us how to use the perspective tools in AI. View > Perspective Grid > 1/ 2/ 3 Point Perspective.


Fig. 2A.2 / Perspective, Week 5 (09.23.2021)


Fig. 2A.3 / Final Poster by Ms Jennifer, Week 5 (09.23.2021)

B. Week 6 - 09.30.2021
There is no practice this week.


VISUAL RESEARCH

How to Create A Minimalist Poster. (Source: Canva)

Be Clever
    Minimalism doesn’t bind you to type-centric compositions governed by the grid. Flex your creative muscles while working on a minimalist piece and come up with creative solutions like the one showcased above. Use the different design elements you’ve chosen to work with to make a comment on any subject at hand or open up an avenue for creative dialogue. Let your poster be a catalyst for creative conversation and not just a pretty piece.


Fig. 3.1 / Reference 1, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

Play with Type
    Letterforms are magical. They are extremely versatile communication artefacts that can be equally powerful used solo or as a group, arranged into words. This makes them valuable in minimalist compositions, where we aim to communicate with the least number of design elements possible. Play with letterforms, experimenting with their arrangement and meaning. I work with type often making it difficult for me to see the “A” used in the poster above as anything else. However, as I was writing this post, my mate walked past and had a eureka moment when he discovered the character’s eye was actually a letter. These small “discoveries” are powerful and memorable. If you incorporate them into your work, your poster will surely stick around your audience’s mind.


Fig. 3.2 / Reference 2, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

Create A Minimalist Illustration
    Create a minimalist illustration for your poster by reducing all objects in it to basic, geometric shapes. Cover the entire face of your poster with the illustration or create a series of simple illustrations to work throughout your entire composition.


Fig. 3.3 / Reference 3, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

Use Geometric Shapes
    We’ve all been there. It is the night before a deadline and you’re still staring at a blank page. If you’ve wracked your brains trying to come up with a beautiful minimalist poster but still haven’t arrived at anything awesome, go geometric. Using your brand colours, create a straightforward abstract arrangement with geometric shapes. Using the grid, throw your copy over it. Sometimes, a simple strategy can yield the most beautiful results, as showcased above.


Fig. 3.4 / Reference 4, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

Print on Black
    Printing on black can help you create an elegant and sophisticated poster your audience will want to hold on to. To add an air of exclusivity, print a limited edition run and number each poster in the series. I love the simple visual in the poster above for Skellen. The cool colour ink glows beautifully on a black canvas. I especially enjoy the lovely detail created by the subtle halftone used to create the sphere in the piece. Feeling like taking a risk? Consider printing black on black. Use glossy black ink on matte black paper to design a special piece.


Fig. 3.5 / Reference 5, Week 6 (09.30.2021)


INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRQma5c6Mn8eC_LPk5Ui9Y7-7-4XfMfl/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/16XBApFvPgt7G7ImBAOexf75gN88CE3ml/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spOTb2e1hjCKAEg0VBir-Dlyr05BK6Kz/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

In this task, we need to translate the iconic scene/ moment/ object in the movie/ TV series/ game into the minimalist type of vector illustration. Design a minimalist poster defining the decisive moment of the scene. And then create a looping animated gif of the design.
  • Documentation of artwork progress. Remember, extra marks for experimentations!
  • Final poster *.jpg [800 x 600 pix]
  • Final animated *.gif loop in either landscape or portrait [800 x 600 pix]

Task 2 - Decisive Moment

Poster
a. Explorations and References
First of all, I want to create a Squid Game poster because I just watched it. I tried to think about which part of the movie contains a decisive moment. Here are my explorations.


Fig. 4.1 - 4.6 / Exploration of Squid Game, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

After I sketched the two sketches, I feel like I need to change the movie that easier for me. I chose the cartoon Mulan 1 as my poster. 
Fig. 4.7 - 4.8 / Cartoon Mulan Poster and Scene, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

(SPOILER ALERT) I picked the part when Mulan cut her hair. When she decided to replace his father in the war. I think this part is the biggest decision that Mulan choose (Source: Mulan's Decision - Youtube).


Fig. 4.9 - 4.10 / Colour Reference and Logo of Mulan, Week 7 (09.30.2021)

I found this picture on Pinterest. I make (fig. 4.9) as my colour reference. I search the logo of Mulan with a white background so I can remove the background easily in Adobe Photoshop.

b. Sketches of Poster
These are my sketches. In the first sketch, I make a squid game poster. If you watch the movie, you will know what is the meaning of this poster (💁‍♀️I won't spoiler it). I feel the first one there is no decisive moment, so I tried with the second sketch. In the second sketch, I also make a squid game poster. Maybe the poster works well, but I feel if I use this poster it will be hard for me to animate it later. Then, I gave up on the squid game poster. I decided to change the movie. In the last sketch, I made a Mulan poster. I feel this is okay and I think I can imagine the poster.


Fig. 5.1 - 5.3 / Sketches, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

c. Digitalize of Poster 
This is my poster layer. I made 28 layers, I don't know is okay to make that many layers. The reason why there are many is that I draw it part by part a layer by layer (ex, skin, shadow skin, highlight skin, etc). To be honest is hard to begin it but when I do it in a long time, I'm quite enjoying it so I don't feel this is tough. I applied one perspective in this task like Ms Jennifer taught last week. Actually, the most challenging while doing this is when I need to draw the shadows strands by strands of hair. It's a little bit messed on the top of the head, but it doesn't really necessary cause in the dark side.

Fig. 5.4 - 5.5 / Without highlight or shadow and the layers, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

This is the original result.

Fig. 5.6 / Original Result, Week 7 (09.30.2021)

I want to apply the chiaroscuro like Ms Anis did in the lecture. So I edit it in Adobe Photoshop. The purpose of chiaroscuro is to see the positive and negative space, increase dramatic tension, and so on (check the lecture above in week 5). Next, I also edit the original one into a more dramatic version. In (fig. 5.8), I feel this is too dark so I lighted it a little bit.


Fig. 5.7 - 5.9 / Edit in Photoshop, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

Furthermore, I made a poll on Instagram between the original one (1) and fig. 5.9 (2).

Fig. 5.10 / Poll in Instagram Stories, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

From that poll, I received a lot of feedback from my friend. Here are the results.
24 Hours Poll. End in Thursday, 7th October 2021; 12.30 PM.
1 > Original; 2 > Edited
1 : 2 = 59% : 41%
Feedbacks:
- Can you low down the exposure of the logo? so it can have the same vibe.
- The second one is more dramatic.
- I think the second one is too dark so it blends a bit with her hair. Maybe halfway between numbers 1 and 2.
- The first one doesn't feel like it's deep and the second one is too contrast.
- I like the first one.
- I like the second one.
- The vibe of the second photo is too scary, too dark.

From the feedback, I realized that the second/ edited one is too contrast. Then I remake it again, I think this is great. Here's my first result.


Fig. 5.11 / First Result, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

d. Final Result of Poster in JPG
Next, Ms Anis and Ms Jennifer asked me to change the title into more HD and give the tagline. I think this is my original#2 result. 


Fig. 5.12 / Original#2 Result, Week 7 (10.07.2021)

Then, I put the same filter with the First Result. Here is My Final Result. 

Fig. 5.13 / Final Result of Poster, Week 7 (10.07.2021)


Animated
a. References
For the animation, I watched the part of Mulan cut her hair again on youtube. I already cut the scene, only Mulan's Decision. Here's the video. (Source: Mulan's Decision - Youtube)


Vid. 6.1 / Mulan's Decision, Week 6 (09.30.2021)


Fig. 6.1 - 6.5 / Situations References, Week 6 (09.30.2021)

From the scenes that I captured, there are few things that I found and I think I can relate this situation to my animation later:
- It's rainy
- There is the sound of thunder and lightning
- Minimum of light
- Sound of a sword blade and wind

b. Progress
First, I separate and classify some anatomic of the body that I want to make a movement. I was doing this in AI. Second, I copy as a smart object to Photoshop.



Fig. 6.6 - 6.15 / Animation Progress, Week 8 (10.14.2021)

c. Result of Animated in GIF
I made it like there is lightning or thunder. The only thing that moves is the hands & sword, shoulders, and hair. 


Fig. 6.16 / GIF Mulan Animation, Week 8 (10.14.2021)

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_7CD4sMP-GmeolbKM5CcQxM3oGbMNdZ/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


FEEDBACK

Week 6 / 09.30.2021
May continue to digitalize it. 

Week 7 / 10.07.2021
Change the title into more HD, may continue to animation it.

Week 8 / 10.14.2021
💁‍♀️: It's Independent Learning Week.

Week 9 / 10.21.2021
Great Job!


REFLECTIONS

It's really hard to do an animation in photoshop. It's tough and fun at the same time. I really need to consider what part that moves so I need to separate and group them in Adobe Illustrator first. Also hard when decided what kind of moves make a natural movement. From this exercise, I became more appreciative of how the work of the animators.

Comments