DPI / Project 1: Collage (Week 2)

08.30.2021 - 09.13.2021 (Week 2 - Week 4)
Devina Angeline Wiratama / 0350824
Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Collage


Jump Link

LECTURES

1. Week 2 - Lecture / 08.30.2021
        First of all, Mr Fauzi Yusoff opened with the Lecture section. In this section, he introduced basic composition, rules of thirds, golden ratio, and composition framing and cropping. The explanation is as follows.

a. Basic Composition
a. Focal Point (helps your viewers’ eyes naturally settle on the important pieces of your design first)
b. Scale and Hierarchy (help communicate hierarchy by drawing attention toward and away from certain elements, thus signifying their importance to the communication)
c. Balance the Elements (think of each element as having a ‘weight’)
d. White space/ empty (help boost your design’s clarity and balance out the more complicated and busy parts of your composition with space that helps your design to breathe)

b. Rule of Thirds
is the process of dividing an image into thirds, using two horizontal and two vertical lines. This imaginary grid yields nine parts with four intersection points.



Fig. 1.1 / One of the examples of Rule of Thirds from Mr Fauzi Google Slide, Week 2 (08.30.2021)

c. Golden Ratio/ a mathematical ratio
is commonly found in nature, and when used in a design, it fosters organic and natural-looking compositions that are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.



Fig. 1.2 / One of the examples of Golden Ratio from Mr Fauzi Google Slide, Week 2 (08.30.2021)

d. Composition Framing and Cropping
is to cover the action in a scene. Divided into several parts, namely single shot (close up, medium, and wide), two shot, third shot, so on, crowd shot, over the shoulder, point of view, insert shot.



Fig. 1.3 / Camera Framing Cheat Sheet from https://youtu.be/qQNiqzuXjoM, Week 2 (08.30.2021)


TUTORIAL

Week 2 - Tutorial / 08.30.2021
We watch again the collage elements layering & composition and Mr Fauzi start to explain the task.


INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KzzNSVxa0kKS--SV78TKxs6WRnUGRU4z/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


WEEK 2 - PRACTICAL (PHYSICAL COLLAGE ELEMENTS) 

1. Choose and identify your collage's design elements to be cut out and compose them into your own concept & story.

Fig. 2.1 / Collage's Elements, Week 2 (30.08.2021)

        First of all, I don't have any concepts or ideas. I decided to cut all of the interesting images (elements) from magazines. As you can see, there are a lot of pictures that I cut but only a few that I picked as a Collage's Elements. 

2. Pre compositing your collage's design elements into a composition. Reference: https://youtu.be/2KqXGMf0HNk
3. Take 3 photos of your collage pre-composition  and insert them on the section below
4. Submit (Turn In) this W2_TUTORIAL

a. PRE-COMPOSITION #1

Fig. 2.2 / Pre-Composition#1, Week 2 (08.30.2021)

        First, I am a little bit confused because I have never done any collage before so these are all new to me. In the first composition, I crop the right side of girl#1 and the middle of girl#2’s face. I wanted the collage to centre on the page. I also utilised the eye of girl#1, like the lecture from Mr Fauzi on week 2. Usually, the reader will see the face or eye of a human, after that they’ll see where the eye looks at.


b. PRE-COMPOSITION #2

Fig. 2.3 / Pre-Composition#6, Week 2 (08.30.2021)

        For the second attempt, I tried to rearrange again with the same elements. I also tried to use the Rule of thirds. I love how do the flowers grow from large to small towards the writing on the back of the shoulder girl#1. Unconsciously, the reader will focus on the words "SPECIAL SECTION”. This is made more “Emphasis”.

c. PRE-COMPOSITION #3


Fig. 2.4 / Pre-Composition#3, Week 2 (08.30.2021)

        For the last attempt, I feel like this is my most favourite. Actually, I tried the Golden Ratio, but I guess it doesn’t work successfully. I think this composition is balance and anti-mainstream. I put the big circle in the middle for similarity-look (Composition framing and cropping). I feel this composition fulfils the words of the special section.

Finale Outcome


Fig. 5.1 / Finale Outcome Physical Collage, Week 2 (08.30.2021)


FEEDBACK

Week 2 / Physical Collage
Mr Fauzi suggested I choose RE-COMPOSITION #3 for the submission later. The layer composition and framing are on point. Keep up the good work.


REFLECTIONS

        In Week 2, I learned how to think creatively with only limited materials and also how to combine everything into a good composition. For me, it was abstract but exciting. Mr Fauzi's explanation is very complete and clear so that I can apply the learning to my assignments well.


Comments

Post a Comment